STOCKTON — Two men were severely burned during a butane honey oil lab explosion Wednesday at a home in the Brookside neighborhood.
The Stockton Fire Department was dispatched about 4:30 p.m. to the scene of a fire at a home in the 4300 block of Pebble Beach Drive. Initial reports indicated neighbors were using water hoses to help two people who fled from the burning home.
Fire Department Battalion Chief Shannon Lewis said firefighters arrived to find a heavily involved fire in a garage that was spreading into the home. Two men were injured and the arriving fire crew immediately started attending to them, he said.
Those men, who have not been identified, suffered severe injuries and were taken to the UC Davis Medical Center in critical condition, said Stockton police spokesman Officer Joe Silva.
A butane honey oil lab was found in the garage and the two men were inside of the home when the explosion occurred, Silva said.
On Wednesday evening, police arrested 23-year-old Erica Ham, who lives at the home, on suspicion of drug manufacturing, according to Silva.
Curtis Specht, who lives on Pebble Beach Drive, said he was at home when he heard a big boom.
“(There was) a lot of smoke, two guys running out of the garage with their clothes blown off,” he said. “They weren’t on fire, but their skin was hanging off.”
Butane honey oil labs, which are illegal, are used to refine marijuana into tetrahydricannabinol (THC), which is the active chemical in marijuana. While there are no chemicals involved in the making of honey oil, it’s explosive and volatile in nature because of the use of butane or other solvents to extract the THC.
The home’s garage was blackened and a vehicle inside was destroyed. Broken pieces of glass littered the street and the scent of smoke could be smelled blocks away.
Silva said investigators would be at the scene until Wednesday night as they continue to investigate the explosion. No other information could be released at press time.
Members of the San Joaquin County Metro Narcotics Task Force were also on scene.
While the house sustained major damage, no other residences were exposed, Lewis said.
Contact reporter Almendra Carpizo at (209) 546-8264 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter @AlmendraCarpizo.