STOCKTON — A judge agreed Wednesday morning to continue the arraignment on felony child endangerment of the father of missing infant twins for another month while the discovery process continues.
Aaron Ivan Weddles, 41, arrested Jan. 9 with co-defendant Princess Canez-Walker, 32, were found by Stockton police living in “deplorable and dangerous” conditions in an overstuffed Suzuki sport utility vehicle with three of their eight children. However, their youngest children, 20-month-old twins Ren and Setina Weddles, were nowhere to be found.
Both Aaron Weddles and Canez-Walker have reportedly remained silent on the location of the twins, and authorities have said they are protected by the Fifth Amendment from saying anything. A Stockton police spokesman said Wednesday there are no updates on the search for the twins, who would now be 23 months old.
Weddles’ case has been continued to 8:30 a.m. April 9 in Department 8B of San Joaquin County Superior Court for further arraignment.
Canez-Walker is scheduled to return to court at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday for trial setting on the issue of her competency. At a hearing last week, it was revealed that a doctor found her incompetent to stand trial on a charge of felony child endangerment. However, prosecutor Elton Grau was granted a request to have her examined by a second doctor to determine her ability to understand the nature and consequences of the proceedings against her.
If that second doctor finds Canez-Walker incompetent, the District Attorney’s Office would have to determine its next move. In the meantime, Canez-Walker would be transferred from jail to a behavioral health facility.
Weddles, Canez-Walker and their children came to the attention of authorities Jan. 4 when they were reported missing and living in a small vehicle. Stockton police started looking and found the family five days later near Trinity Parkway and McAuliffe Road.
Discovered in the 2002 Suzuki were the two adults, a 4-year-old girl and 2-year old twin girls. The younger twins as well as an 11-year-old boy and girls ages 14 and 13 were not present. Except for the missing twins, all the children are now reported to be in protective custody.
Inside the Suzuki, police reported finding knives, a machete and an ax, suspected mold and narcotics.
If anyone has information about the location of the missing twins, Stockton Crime Stoppers will pay a cash reward up to $10,000 for information that leads to their location. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Stockton Police Department at (209) 937-8377, the Investigations Unit at (209) 937-8323 or Crime Stoppers at (209) 946-0600. Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards up to $10,000. Callers can remain anonymous.
Cellphone users can text information to 274637 (CRIMES) by entering the keyword “TIPSPD” followed by their tip. Or they can use the Stockton Police Department mobile phone app and remain anonymous. Internet users can visit the Police Department’s Facebook page and click “Submit a Tip.”
Contact reporter Joe Goldeen at (209) 546-8278 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him at recordnet.com/goldeenblog and on Twitter.